Saturday, May 30, 2009

So Good You Won't Know It's Vegan!

This is a modified recipe from one of my all time favorite cook books: "How It All Vegan!" by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer.
Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas, mashed (or four if they are small)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup oil (I use olive oil)
1/2 cup sweetener (I use 1 gram, small packet of NuStevia instead)
3/4 cup chopped dates (I use chopped walnuts instead)
1 1/2 cups flower (I use organic whole wheat)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

* I also add 1 - 2 tbsp of organic cinnamon applesauce to keep it from getting too dry

Cooking:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, mash the bananas, add the lemon juice, oil, sweetener and dates (or nuts) and stir together. In a separate large bowl, stir together the flower, wheat germ, salt baking powder and baking soda. Add the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and stir together until "just mixed." Spoon into a lightly oiled loaf pan and back for 40-50 minutes. Test with a knife to see if done. Makes 1 loaf.

I made mini muffins with no nuts for a snack at Lincoln's Montessori school and everyone loved them. They "couldn't believe they were good for you." ;) Helpful hint...If you decide to make muffins, turn the oven down to 350 and only bake for about 15-20 minutes. My first batch was almost a disaster.

Enjoy and if you like the modified recipe you'll love the original, so make sure to check out their book it is spectacular! You can find it on Amazon, or just link through the carousel on the right.

Happy Vegan eating!

4 comments:

  1. You'd be so proud of me - I made quinoa for the first time the other night. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweetie..Great Post!

    I have a new URL for my Canada Blog

    http://2010-olympics-vancouver.blogspot.com/

    Much Love, Sandy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! If you try them let me know how they are for you. Also, with a difference in altitude you may need to play with it a bit so they don't get too dense. Have yummy fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. If there is anything you would like to hear about please let me know. Lincoln and I will explore it and post about it. Good times!